Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dolled Up Vs. Dressed Down



The Katie Couric show recently did a special on the multi billion dollar beauty industry and how it impacts us in our culture and as women.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about the topics of conversation.  For example, did you know that the average woman spends a full week of every year "putting her face on".  THAT'S 168 HOURS!!!  I'm guilty of this for sure and in my profession I only contribute to adding on even more hours. This is all coming from a new documentary style book called The Beauty Experiment written by Phoebe Baker Hyde.  "I was confusing self-confidence with looing great" -Hyde  For one whole year Phoebe stopped wearing make-up or styling her hair and even refrained from buying one new piece of clothing. Phoebe claims she's never felt more beautiful or more confidant.  The glamour girl that I am I don't think you could pay me to give up my primping time but it really does make me think about this veil of security cosmetics seem to provide.
This brings me to my second issue: Are we as women treated differently depending on how dressed up or dressed down we are?  Apparently the answer is YES!  Not only that but studies have shown that in business if a woman wears no makeup she isn't as likely to be considered for the position but a woman who wears the basics (mascara, blush lipstick) would more than likely get the job.  Even if the bare faced beauty had greater skills...MIND BLOWING. To add to this pile of crazy it's also been said that if an above average attractive woman was to be interviewed she automatically is assumed not as bright or capable for the job at hand and has to continuously prove herself. JUST BECAUSE SHE'S PRETTY!  Society must be smoking the crazy pipe because to survive in this world you have to walk the middle line of beauty.  Too much or too little and you're toast. Oh and God forbid you're a bombshell of a beauty, then you have to work extra hard to show your smarts or to be taken seriously.  I love being a woman but holy crap sh*t just got real!

Below is a link to a video from the Katie Couric show.  They did a social experiment of a pretty girl in public asking strangers for help.  First they show her dressed up and second they show her dressed down.  You'll be amazed how differently she's treated depending only on how she looks.  It brings me back to the Classic film Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts is turned down by the snobby Rodeo Dr ladies even though she has a pocket full of cash. Why?....Because of her appearance!   It's a crazy crazy world.
 CLICK LINK FOR VIDEO   >>>      http://bcove.me/lf2zo001


No comments:

Post a Comment