Friday, February 15, 2013

DIY Rose Potpourri

 
ARE YOU TICKLED PINK OVER THOSE ROSES FROM YOUR VALENTINE? ♥   Why not enjoy them forever and make yourself a little Rose Potpourri!!   I love drying my flowers, they're perfect for romantic décor around the home or wonderful gifts as potpourri or wreaths.  Any flower combination works, no need to stick to just roses.   I'm big on creating different textures in my potpourri so I prefer to use both petals and whole rose heads.  Don't forget the baby's breath or any of the other fillers that came with your roses!  Here is my extremely simple recipe for homemade potpourri:


  1.   DRY flowers  To preserve whole rose heads hang entire flower with stem upside down with fishing line until dry. The petals can be picked and dried on newspaper or paper towel.  If you have any fresh herbs  to add to the bunch dry them as well.  They add the perfect amount of green!  Just be sure to turn over every two days.  I always add a handful of dried lavender as well, just my personal preference.  Once flowers are completely dry it's on to step 2.
  2.  ADD ESSENTIAL OIL.  I like to use a combination of oils.  My favorites are rose mixed with lavender or jasmine. Put roses together in a plastic bag and add 10 to 12 drops of essential oils. Gently shake! Keep sealed for 24 hours. 
  3. DISPLAY in bowls, birdcages or sachets!  It will be a beautiful and constant reminder of your loves affection!  I like to refresh the petals every month with sprinkles of the same essential oils.
Have fun picking the oils to scent your potpourri!  Don't under estimate the seductive powers of fragrances.  Here's a list of some of my favorite oils and their aromatherapy effects.  Make your own romantic blend and keep by your bed! 

  • Lavender - Floral, fresh and sweet scent.  Calms stress and anxiety and promotes sleep.  Said to be preferred by men, especially when mixed with other floral notes.
  • Jasmine blossom -  Most exquisite floral scent.   Considered an aphrodisiac by men and woman.  Jasmine is uplifting and is said to combat depression.
  • Cinnamon - Is a spicy, sweet and woodsy scent.  Is said to battle exhaustion and stress.
  • Vanilla - Rich, warm and sweet scent. Is both comforting and inviting.  Extremely soothing when mixed with lavender.
  • Rose -  Strong floral scent.  Helpful in stressful times.  Is intoxicatingly beautiful.  Also has aphrodisiac effects.
  • Orange blossom - Intensely floral, citrusy, sweet and exotic.  It's uplifting and alluring. One of my most favorite scents! I wouldn't mix this with anything.  It's too perfect as is.
 
XO~ SJ


No comments:

Post a Comment